This is a printer-friendly page
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (more or less to taste)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch*
- 2 cans OregoN Red Tart Pie Cherries, drained, reserve juice from one can
- 1/4 tsp red food coloring (optional)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Pastry for two-crust 9-inch pie
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drain the cherries and reserve the juice from only one can. In a saucepan, stir the cherry juice into the combined mixture of the cornstarch and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Gently stir in cherries and optional ingredients. Remove from heat. Pour filling into pastry lined pie pan. Dot with butter or margarine. Place the second pie crust on top. Adjust crust, seal and vent. Bake 45 minutes or until crust browns and filling begins to bubble. If necessary, cover edges with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning. Cool pie several hours to allow filling to thicken before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.
*Three tablespoons quick cooking tapioca may be substituted. Discard juice, combine sugar, tapioca, cherries, food coloring and almond extract; mix well and let stand 20 minutes before pouring mixture into pastry lined pie pan. Continue as above.