1 cake mix, 2 layer size, chocolate (other types acceptable)
1 can (16.5 oz) Oregon Sweet Dark Cherries (pitted) in heavy syrup
2 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon sugar, optional
1 tablespoon brandy, optional
2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Make cake mix according to package directions. Bake in two 8- or 9-inch layer pans. Cool.
- To make filling, drain the cherries, reserving the juice. If needed, add water to the juice to make one cup liquid.
- Combine cornstarch and one cup juice in saucepan. Cook until mixture thickens and clears.
- Gently stir in cherries and sugar to taste if you like. Cool. Add brandy or brandy extract if using. Refrigerate.
- To make the topping, whip the whipping cream, gradually adding the powdered sugar, till stiff. Do not overbeat.
- To assemble, place one layer on cake plate. Form a rim of whipped cream around the outer edge. Fill the center with the cherry filling. Gently place top layer on top of filling. Cover top and sides of cake with remaining whipped cream.
- Garnish with 1/3 bar sweet cooking chocolate, grated or shaved.
Note: Red tart cherries can also be used to make this cake. Adjust the recipe by using one can (16 ounces) Oregon Red Tart Cherries (pitted) instead of the Dark Sweet Cherries. Add about 1/2 cup of sugar (to taste) to the cherry mixture with the cherries (after the cornstarch and juice have thickened.