1 can Oregon Fruit Products Red Tart Cherries, drained, discard juice
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cup sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
4 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
*Cream cheese frosting or powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter with sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, cocoa and salt.
- Alternately, in thirds, add buttermilk and flour mix to creamed butter and sugar. Stir until blended, folding in the cherries at the end.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread cake batter in pan and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
*Top with cream cheese frosting or dust lightly with powdered sugar.