Elegant and delicious, a Pavlova is always an impressive dessert for a crowd. Want to up the wow
factor? Double the recipe and make two-layers! We used superfine sugar to ensure maximum lift in
the meringue and whipped cream, but regular cane sugar will work just fine. This recipe is also great for
satisfying guests who may also be gluten-free.
5 egg whites
2 teaspoons cornstarchr>
2 teaspoons white vinegar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup superfine sugar
1 can Oregon Specialty Fruit Canned Dark Sweet Cherries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
1 cup whipping cream
½ cup Mascarpone cheese
¼ cup superfine baking sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar in to the egg
whites by spoonfuls until all is incorporated and stiff peaks form.
- Blend the cornstarch and vinegar together and whisk into the meringue.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Using 9-inch cake round, draw a circle on the parchment.
Turn the paper over and put it back onto the parchment.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the circle, smoothing until even and fairly level.
- Put the meringue in the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and let the Pavlova completely cool in the oven.
- For the cherry compote, drain the cherry liquid into a saucepan, reserving 2 tablespoons in a
small bowl. Mix the 2 tablespoons of the liquid with the cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the sugar to the cherry liquid in the saucepan and heat to a boil, stirring to dissolve the
sugar. Add the cherries and the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the
mixture has thickened. Allow to cool completely. (Can be made a day ahead of time and
- To make the whipped cream, pour chilled cream into a mixing bowl and whisk on high speed
until the cream starts to get fluffy. Add the sugar and spoonfuls of the Mascarpone cheese
slowly until all are fully incorporated. Do not over mix. Set the whipped cream aside. (Can be
made 4 hours ahead of time and refrigerated.)
- To assemble: Place the meringue onto a serving platter and top with the whipped cream.
Spoon the cherry compote over the top of the whipped cream. Serve immediately.