1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup all purpose flour
Dark Cherry Filling
1 can Oregon Fruit Dark Sweet Cherries, drained & chopped
7 egg whites
2 cups sugar
2 cups butter, room temperature
White Chocolate Frosting
1 ½ cups butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup white chocolate chips
¼ cream or half and half
- Preheat oven to 375 and generously grease a standard baking sheet.
- In a standing or hand mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar together on medium speed until the mixture starts to pale, about 3 minutes. While still whisking pour in the warm water, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add in the flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and smooth to the edges.
- Place in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, keeping careful watch. The cake should not turn golden at the edges.
Dark Cherry Filling:
- In a double boiler, whisk the egg whites and sugar together just until the sugar has completely dissolved. Place into a standing mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once stiff peaks have formed and the mixture feels room temperature, add in the butter 2 tablespoons at a time on medium/low speed. After all the butter has been added, turn up the mixer’s speed and whip until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Switch to a paddle attachment and add in the Dark Sweet Cherries. Mix until well combined and the filling starts to smooth, about 2 minutes.
White Chocolate Frosting:
- In a standing mixer, beat the butter and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- In a small bowl, melt the white chocolate and cream together in the microwave for about 30 second just until melted and not hot.
- With the standing mixer on low, slowly pour in the white chocolate mixture.
- With the cake still on the baking sheet, spread the entire filling evenly onto the cake, tapering slightly on the short ends.
- Take one of the short ends and start rolling the cake toward the other end as tight as the filling will allow. Once rolled, set the cake on the baking sheet, seam end down and place in the fridge to set, about 30 minutes.
- Once set, cut about 1 inch off each end. Remove the cake and place onto your desired presentation plate. Spread the white chocolate frosting evenly on the cake. Take a fork and make grooves onto the frosting to emulate tree bark. Decorate with rosemary and additional dark sweet cherries on the side. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Keeps up to 3 days in the fridge.
Makes 6 servings.