Pre made refrigerated pie crust
1 15oz. can Oregon Fruit gooseberries, drained
2 15oz. cans Oregon Fruit blueberries, drained
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup (1 stick) butter (1 tablespoon per tartlet), plus extra for brushing tin
1 large egg white, for egg wash
Finely ground cornmeal, for sprinkling on tin
Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Special equipment: 8 (3-inch) pie tins
Make the caramelized sugar:
- Pour sugar in heavy skillet, cook over low heat until sugar turns a
- Pour caramelized sugar in a 10-inch aluminum tin or silicone mat to cool and
- After it is cooled, break into pieces of 1-to 1 1/2-inch big. Set aside, it will be used to
bake with berries.
Make fruit filling:
- In a large bowl, place drained gooseberries and blueberries. Pour lemon juice
- Sprinkle sugar, flour and nutmeg on top of the berries – no mixing needed.
To assemble tartlets:
- Take 8 small pie tins, brush with butter and liberally sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces and put 7 back in the refrigerator (must be kept cold)
- Roll out the dough into a 4-inch circle, it should be quite thick--you don't want it too thin.
- Place disk in pie tin and repeat until all 8 are done. Place all 8 tarts on sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brush bottom of dough shell with egg whites. Gently scoop out the berries with the flour-sugar mixture on top into the shells.
- Place a piece of the caramelized sugar on top of berries. Fold up the sides in a circle, do not close up completely, leaving an
- Put 1 tablespoon butter on top of each tartlet. Brush egg white on the exposed dough
and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with confectioners sugar dusted on top.