2 cans Oregon Light Sweet Cherries
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups each flour and uncooked quick rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk
- Drain can of fruit; reserve 1 cup syrup (add water if necessary).
- Combine reserved syrup with cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Cook and stir until thickened. Stir in drained fruit. Set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender.
- Press 2/3 of mixture into greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 400 F. 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly; spread fruit mixture over top.
- Crumble remaining flour mixture over berries; press lightly.
- Bake at 400 F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over top. Cut into bars. Makes about 3-1/2 dozen.
Oregon Blueberries, Blackberries, Boysenberries, Raspberries, Thompson Seedless Grapes, and Dark Sweet Cherries can be substituted.