2 cans (15 ounces) Oregon Fruit (drained, reserve syrup from one can)
½ cup sugar (more or less according to your preference)
3 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional)
Pastry for a double crust, 9-inch pie
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
For Blackberry, Blueberry or Boysenberry Pie:
For Cherry Pie:
- Drain the berries and reserve the syrup from one can.
- In a saucepan, stir the syrup into the combined mixture of the cornstarch and half of the sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and gently stir in the remaining sugar, berries and lemon juice.
- Let stand while preparing pastry. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pastry and fill with fruit filling. Dot with butter or margarine. Adjust the top crust on pie, cutting slits for steam to escape, and seal.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
Use additional 1 cup sugar (more or less to your preference)
¼ teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Add optional ingredients after thickening and removing from heat.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust browns and filling begins to bubble.
- If necessary, cover edges with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning. Cool pie several hours to allow filling to thicken before slicing.