12 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 – 8 oz pkgs cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 – 15 oz cans Oregon Blueberries in light syrup
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 - 3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, and top with the cream cheese cubes.
- Drain juice from 2 cans of Blueberries and reserve the juice.
- Arrange the drained Blueberries from 1 can over the cream cheese, and cover with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Pour mixture over the bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the pan out of the refrigerator approx. 30 minutes before ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until the center is firm and the top is lightly browned.
- In a saucepan, mix the blueberry juice from both cans and the cornstarch. Bring to a boil, and stir continually for about 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Adjust amount of cornstarch based on how thick you like the sauce.
- Mix the drained blueberries from the second can into the sauce and simmer a few more minutes until heated through. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked french toast.
- Serves 10.