1 can Oregon Fruit Whole Purple Plums, drained, pitted, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal + 2 1/2 tablespoons water)
2 cups "white" whole wheat flour (or 1 cup each of standard whole wheat & unbleached all purpose flours)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil or earth balance, melted & cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together water & flax meal, set aside.
- Grease & flour a standard muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour(s), baking soda, salt & cinnamon.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine yogurt, maple syrup, flax egg, oil/earth balance & vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and mix in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula. The batter will be thick.
vDrop heaping tablespoons of the batter into the lined/greased muffin tin, topping each with several cubes of plum, pressing them down gently.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until the centers just spring back to the touch. Do not overbake! serve warm or allow to cool and store at room temperature for up to three days.
Makes 12 muffins.