For Cherry Filling:
1 can Oregon Fruit Red Tart Cherries drained & chopped
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup thinly sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 F. In a small bowl, mix drained & chopped cherries with lemon juice, almond extract, sugar & cornstarch. Set aside.
- Cream together butter & sugar. Add egg, mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk baking soda & salt into flour then pour into butter mixture slowly, stirring until incorporated. Add oats and mix until just combined.
- Set aside 2/3 cup of dough to use as topping and press the remaining dough into an even layer in a 9 x 13" baking pan lined with parchment.
- Top with an even layer of the cherry mixture (including the liquid that has accumulated) and then break the remaining dough into small pieces and sprinkle in an even layer over the top. Top with sliced almonds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until edges are golden brown and cherry mixture is bubbly. Cool in pan on a cooling rack, then slice into wedges or squares. Eat as-is or serve warm with vanilla ice cream!
Makes 12 bars