Crust: 8x8 pan
3/4 cup almonds
2/3 cup dates about 8 pitted dates
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can of Oregon Fruit Specialty Red Tart cherries, drained
2 cups heavy whipping cream
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
9 popsicle sticks
To prepare the crust
- Put almonds in a bowl, and cover with hot water. Put dates in a bowl, and cover with hot water. Let sit for at least 15 minutes and up to 12 hours.
- Line 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, waxed paper or foil. Freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- Drain water from almonds. Put almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Blend until chopped (about 45 to 90 seconds). Add oats, and process about 20 seconds until mixed in.
- Drain dates, and reserve water. Add dates to the food processor, and process until incorporated (about 30 seconds).
- Add vanilla extract, salt and 3 tablespoons of the reserved date soaking water. Process until the mixture starts to lump together to form a ball. You might need to add an extra teaspoon or 2 of the reserved date soaking liquid to help the mixture come together. You want it to hold together, but not be wet. (Add extra liquid slowly to prevent a soggy crust.)
- Press the crust mixture into the prepared baking dish, and place in the freezer to set while preparing the filling, or for at least 15 minutes.
- Open can of Red Tart Cherries and drain. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture over the frozen crust and spread in an even layer. Cover lightly with parchment, wax paper or plastic wrap. Freeze 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, top with Red Tart Cherries and lightly score into 9 bars. Insert Popsicle stick. Recover and freeze until set 6-8 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature for a few minutes. Cut into 9 pops and serve immediately.
Makes 9 servings.