2 cans Oregon Fruit Dark Sweet Cherries, drain and reserve all liquid
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 fresh habanero chili’s, de-stemmed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup ketchup
3 cups Dark Sweet Cherries
4 Tbs tomato paste
2 medium onions, sliced thin
1 fresh habanero pepper, de-stemmed
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken bouillon cube
- Add vegetable oil to a small skillet and heat over medium high heat. Once hot, add onions and habanero's to the pan. Cook until onion is soft (5-8 minutes).
- In the same skillet, add lemon juice, ketchup and cherry juice. Stir and cook until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove mixture from pan and add everything to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Vent the lid so the heat doesn’t pop it off. Save and set aside.
- Add 2 cups of cherries (save the remaining cup) to your soup pot. Add tomato paste, onions, habanero, chicken, garlic and bouillon. Top it all with the sauce and stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and/or scorching.
- Once cooked, add remaining cup of cherries. While the chili simmers, stir and break up the cubes of chicken so that it’s shredded. Cook the chili until it gets to a consistency you like.
- Remove from heat and serve with cheese, chopped green onions and sour cream.