1 can Oregon Tart Red Cherries, undrained
1 T Olive Oil
2 (12 oz) packages boneless whole duck breast, thawed, skinned, and cut in half
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 T minced shallots
1/2 C dried tart cherries
1/2 C ruby port or other sweet red wine
1/2 less-sodium beef broth
2 T honey
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp butter
- Drain Oregon Tart Red Cherries through a sieve over a bowl.
- Place 1/2 cup cherries and 1/4 cup cherry liquid in a blender, reserved the remaining canned cherries and cherry liquid for another use.
- Process cherry mixture until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle duck with salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Add duck to pan.
- Cook 5 minutes each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan, keep warm.
- Add shallots to pan, saute 1 minute.
- Stir in 3/4 teaspoons of pepper and next 6 ingredients (through vinegar). Cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add pureed cherry mixture and butter, stirring until butter melts.
- Slice duck, serve with sauce
Yield: 5 servings