8oz wheel of Brie Cheese
1/4 cup Pistachios
1T Sea Salt, coarse
1 T Fresh Basil, chiffonade
Poached Red Tart Cherries:
1 cup Oregon Pinot Noir
3/4 cup cane sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp cracked black pepper
3 inch strip orange peel
1 -14.5oz can Oregon Specialty Fruit Red Tart Cherries, drained, Reserve juice
¼ cup reserved cherry juice liquid
2 T cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To poach cherries- in a medium saucepan, combine the wine, sugar, black pepper, cinnamon stick, and orange peel. Set over high heat and bring to a simmer, then add the cherries. Reduce heat and simmer until cherries are plump and tender about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain. Set the cherries aside and discard the cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Return the poaching liquid to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch to ¼ cup cherry juice, stir into poaching liquid. Cook until thickened- about 5 minutes.
- Return cherries to sauce and simmer on low for 3 minutes.
- Crush pistachios with a mortar and pestle and combine with coarse sea salt.
- Place brie on parchment covered cookie sheet. Remove top rind with knife. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until center is soft.
- Transfer brie to serving platter, top with Cherry Compote.
- Garnish with crushed pistachios and salt mixture, and chiffonade of basil.
- Serve with thinly sliced baguettes.